Marina, volunteering until August 2016, published a movie on YouTube about her experience.
Some tips to prepare your luggage
What you need
For most of the things mentioned here, note that you can find them here, but since it could take some time, you are encouraged to take at least:
- A map of Auroville that you get as soon as you arrive in the Guest service or the Visitors center
- Torch or a head torch especially if you want to cycle
- Essentials medication (First Aid) such as Antiseptic, and digestion aid.
- Hygienic products for the first days
- Small bag you can attach around your hips to carry money
- Bed sheet/thin towel
- Swiss knife
- Mosquito net (although the guesthouse might provide one, or the room might be conceived against mosquitoes)
- A lock to protect your valuables (the guesthouse may also have safe room/trunk/safe…)
- A pair of closed shoes for hiking or running; slippers are most commonly used here
Concerning any doubt, don’t hesitate to email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the list of your questions, equities about specific items. Try to gather all your questions in one email.
…and do not need
Almost every item you might need is generally available in South India, and especially Auroville, although perhaps under different brands. It’s not a wild and primitive area; every essential need can be satisfied!
- Too many medicines (there are several health centers and pharmacies)
- Books, there are excellent library and bookshops
- Toilet paper
- Too much clothing; appropriate clothing to the weather can be very cheaply bought here
- Mosquito repellant (the products here are more adapted)
- Toothbrush, shampoo, cream, soap