History and today’s organisation:
YouthLink is an outcome of the Auroville Retreat community process which was held in early 2015. This was a collective process which identified the need for ‘youth’ integration in all aspects of the community’s functioning, particularly for those in their 20s.
YouthLink is now a Service in Auroville that aspires to provide information and develop initiatives that resonate with Auroville’s ideals, under the categories of Employment, Housing and Education.
The three categories are specifically related to youth as there is a housing crisis, a lack of structured higher education opportunities for Aurovilian youth, and a lack of employment opportunities and training for skill enhancement. It is not easy for Auroville youth, or youth who would like to join Auroville.
- YouthLink supports Youth Initiatives
- YouthLink is an Information Platform for Youth Topics
YouthLink has grown unexpectedly fast since its early work in January 2015 – 2016 and now it supports many initiatives. For more information www.youthlink.org.in
Vision and Missions:
YouthLink places the Auroville Charter at the center of its vision, highlighting the aspiration that “Auroville will be the place of an unending education, of constant progress and a youth that never ages,” and that “Auroville wants to be the bridge between the past and the future. Taking advantage of all discoveries from without and from within, Auroville will boldly spring towards future realizations.”
As a service, YouthLink is aimed to help voice youth concerns, help address youth needs and help younger generations in getting involved in the building of Auroville. YouthLink also aims to be a bridge between Auroville, its bio-region, India and the world.
The overall goal is to recognize the potential in Youth and support their involvement in the development of Auroville. YouthLink supports young leaders, and youth related activities that aim at building a better world for all. Everyone is welcome.
YouthLink has a Core Group of youth between the ages 18-35, but works with all age groups. Depending on the initiative, YouthLink engages younger youth, and calls on older mentors.
Leaders & Team:
YouthLink is formed by a Core Team of Aurovilian and Aspiring Aurovilian Youth, primarily between the age-group of 18-35. This core team is inspired by the 12 qualities of the Mother’s symbol, so we have a membership of 12 youth working year-round.
Youth who wish to work shorter periods, such as from High Schools youth and Volunteers, are also welcome to work at YouthLink and will be supported by Core Team members. Each youth is also encouraged to choose an older Mentor in the community to maintain ‘links’ and ensure cross-generational collaboration in our work.
YouthLink looks forward to welcoming Volunteers from India or abroad to be part of our team.
Unit Current Activities:
- The Hive: Design & Construction of campus in the International Zone. Design& Implementation of Apprenticeship program.
- Maintaining Opportunity Informative Platforms for Jobs/Experiences/Apprenticeships/Service options for Youth.
- Linking to Global Ecovillage Network for Exchange Programs/Short Courses and Conferences.
- Linking to Auroville International Network to encourage stronger global youth network to bring Auroville to the world.
- Bioregional Youth for Development Project
- Linking to village Youth Groups
- Organizing Educational Workshops
- Organizing Events such as International Youth Day
- Office Work: Website Maintenance, Visual & Written Documentation, Data Gathering & Processing.
Location:Youth Link Office, Kala Kendra building, Bharat Nivas Campus.