MeDi Clown Academy
“Laughter is the best medicine”
History and today’s organisation:
Komali is a young social enterprise that offers an integral training and holistic approach to healing for people in healthcare (hospitals, homecare, clinics), Education (schools, colleges, universities) and business (self-help groups, corporations) in villages and cities.
Its founders had developed and tested the concept in Canada and wanted to bring its fulfilling outcomes to the context of India. The idea of introduce “clown” in the medical healing process is very ancient (ancient art of clowning “Vedusta” in Sanskrit) its powerful effects are now subject of scientific research in modern times. Komali is the Tamil word for clown.
If we laugh frequently we:
- are more motivated, alert and attentive
- learn faster and retain what we have learned over longer periods
- have greater harmony among peers that lead to less ragging and teasing
- build self-esteem and confidence
- have many healthy effects as; releases tension, regulates blood pressure, improves the heart, reduces pain, boosts immune system, increases circulation, relaxes the muscles, …
Vision and Missions:
The purpose is to establish medical clowning as a viable profession within the therapeutic world, and to develop its multiples usages within the health care professions and within the populations in need of it.
MeDi Clown Academy is meant to become a place of training, research and services: first it is spreading its approaches through lectures, theatrical events and training.
Leaders & Team:
The present team is composed of 3 Auroville professional specialist in theater and clowning and a business manager, and some volunteers.
Location:Arati 3B-1 Auroville, Tamil Nadu - India
Internal affiliation: MeDi Clown Academy is affiliated to SEA Social Entrepreneur Associates, under Auroville Village Action Trust